Alumni Profile: McKayla Kirk

McKayla Kirk graduated in 2021 and currently works as the Training Administrator for Vaco.

What was your major and minor in college?

I graduated Magna Cum Laude from Belmont University in August 2021 with a B.A. in Corporate Communication and Spanish (double major).

What were your co-curricular activities in college?

During my time at Belmont, I was involved in multiple honor societies, as well as BSA and HSA. I also had the opportunity to work on campus as a Conference Assistant during Summer 2018, and this led me to serving as a Front Desk Assistant in the residence halls during my sophomore and junior years!

How did you get your current position?

I currently serve on the Training & Development team for the parent company of a variety of talent solutions firms. I found out about the company from another Belmont alum, and I applied to the open position via their LinkedIn.

What does a typical workday look like for you?

Day-to-day, I coordinate the communications and program logistics for our training programs. I work with a lot of spreadsheets, manage team calendars, and send lots of emails. Special projects may include designing decks, graphics, and program slicks/materials for our trainings. I am usually one of the first people our new hires meet, and I love connecting with folks from all over the company!

What advice do you have for majors and minors in communications?

I have three pieces of advice for you. First, try to intern as much as your time (and wallet, if unpaid) allows. Due to the timing of my courses and needing to work throughout college, I did not graduate with any internship experience. This was a missed opportunity on my part, and I believe my job hunt would have been easier if I could have fit in at least one internship before graduation. To current interns, please see my last piece of advice. It’ll help you get the most out of your experience.

Second, be yourself no matter the room you are in. Company culture is incredibly important and makes a huge impact on your work, and you want to be sure to find a company your personality fits into. While job hunting and interviewing, make sure to ask questions like “What do you do to keep moral up during stressful seasons?” or “What opportunities are available for team bonding?” You will spend most of your waking hours with these folks. It’s important that you feel a sense of belonging with them.

My final advice: ask questions, often and thoughtfully. If you don’t understand something, ask for help. If you are interested in the work someone is doing, ask to shadow them for a day. If you are working on a difficult project, ask your teammates for their insight. When we admit we don’t understand or know something, we open the door for growth and intellectual collaboration. Learning to be curious and asking questions will show others you are engaged and a potential resource in the future.

Please reach out to me on LinkedIn if you have questions or want to hear more. I am always happy to help a fellow Bruin.