Tia Tricamo: Abroad in Barcelona

By: Rachel Boorse

Tia Tricamo is a sophomore Corporate Communication major from St. Louis, Missouri. This semester, Tia is studying abroad in Barcelona, Spain, and we had the chance to chat with her about her travels, classes, and life abroad.

Why did you want to study abroad? And why this specific location (Barcelona)?

I studied abroad because I had always wanted to travel to Europe, and I love embarking on new adventures. It’s been very interesting to learn about different people and cultures, and my love for travelling is forever growing. I was specifically drawn to Spain because of the upbeat, dynamic, and inviting atmosphere. There are so many unique experiences to be had in Barcelona, not to mention the company is incredible!

What other places have you visited while abroad?

So far, I have visited Sitges, London, Athens, Rome, Madrid, Tarragona, Valencia, Milan, Lake Como, Florence, Bologna, and Parma. I plan to visit Lisbon, Nice, Monaco, Paris, Amsterdam, and Berlin in the next month.

What has been rewarding about studying abroad?

Studying abroad has been super regarding because traveling is so convenient and there is so much rich culture packed into each city I visit.

What have you learned about studying abroad?

I’ve learned that studying abroad is going to push you out of your comfort zone, but teach you a lot about yourself along the way. You’ll have amazing experiences, but some things won’t go your way and you’ll have to quickly manage to make the best of it. Everything is a learning experience!

Have there been any language barrier issues?

There have been very minimal language barrier issues. I’ve realized that mostly everyone I interact with, especially in touristy areas, speak intermediate to advanced English. Restaurants and airports have English signs, which have been extremely helpful. I’ve also picked up a lot more Spanish since being here, so I haven’t struggled much with the language barrier!

What lessons from Comm Studies/Corporate Comm have helped you while being abroad?

I’d say my Interpersonal Communication class taught me a lot of communication strategies which have helped my transition into a new culture go smoothly. The importance of body language and nonverbal communication has been especially prevalent while abroad. I’ve also noted differences in our American individualist culture compared to Europe’s more collectivist approach, and it’s been very interesting to observe these differences firsthand.

What classes are you taking?

The classes I’m taking are Analyzing and Exploring the Global City, Architectural History of Spain, Intercultural Communication, and Principles of Marketing.

What does your school life look like while abroad?

My school, IAU, is very small (it consists of one floor), but there is a beautiful outdoor terrace and a computer room that we liked to hang out in and do homework in. It’s a super cozy and comfortable environment, especially because our professors were so welcoming and kind. My school life is more discussion and reading based, rather than formal exams and homework, which I have really enjoyed.

What has been the most surprising thing you’ve done or seen so far?

The most surprising thing has been how easily accessible public transportation is. I grew up in the suburbs, so public transportation was never really an option for me. I have really enjoyed and appreciated how convenient and easy-to-use Barcelona’s metro and bus system is!

What’s the housing situation like?

I live in a modern residence hall in my own dorm room. I have my own bathroom and kitchenette, but there are also two public kitchens on the main floor as well as a pool, gym, cinema room, study rooms, and lounging spaces. I have become great friends with the other students in my residence hall, and met people from all over the world.

How have you met people while abroad?

I have met friends from all over the world in my residence, but I’ve also made friends through different nightlife activities, at the beach, at school or even just on the streets. People are very social in my experience.

What have you learned about yourself?

I’ve learned that I am very good at adapting to my circumstances, and generally, I have a pretty positive attitude about everything. I’ve become even more adventurous and open to new experiences as well.

What advice would you give to a prospective student who might study abroad?

Just go for it! There are so many people and places you may never get the chance to meet/see in your life, so it’s really important to take advantage of any opportunities that allow you to see more of the world.

Rapid-Fire Questions:

1. Favorite country you’ve visited: Italy
  2. Favorite city you’ve visited: London
  3. Favorite meal: Herb Tortelli
  4. Favorite dessert: Pistachio Gelato