The Teaching Center invites Belmont faculty to join a
Summer 2019 Reading Group!
To sign up for a group, reply to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title(s) of the book(s) you are interested in reading. You are welcome to sign up for more than one group. Please reply by Tuesday, April 16th so that we have adequate time to determine which books have sufficient interest to form a group. Also include your general availability from Maymester through the second summer session.
The Teaching Center will provide a book for reading group participants! The exceptions to this are the books for which we have unlimited access to an ebook available through the Bunch Library website; in this case, the Teaching Center will provide a single hard copy of the book for each group to share. We will have a brief planning meeting with your group on Wednesday, April 24 (Academic Preparation Day) so that group members can decide on dates, locations and times the group will meet.
Feel free to contact the Teaching Center with any questions. Drop by the Teaching Center (JAAC 2049/2050) if you would like to skim through a copy of a book in which you are interested.
Here is a list of the book titles being offered this summer:
- Elastic: Flexible Thinking in a Time of Change by Leonard Mlodinow
- Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover
- There, There by Tommy Orange
- Mozart’s Starling by Lyanda Lynn Haupt
- The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure by Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt
- The World in a Grain: The Story of Sand and How It Transformed Civilization by Vince Beiser
- Called to Rise: The Power of Community in a Nation Divided by David Brown and Michelle Burfort
- The Children Act by Ian McEwan
- Myths America Lives By: White Supremacy and the Stories That Give Us Meaning by Richard Hughes