Janet Ayers Academic Center at Belmont University in Nashville, Tenn.

Ask a PR Student: Lessons Learned

by Lucy Walsh

With courses in writing, research and design, Belmont PR students leave the classroom bursting at the seams with the information that readies them to be well-rounded PR practitioners. These lessons learned both in the classroom and in application through internships are what empower graduates to take the next steps towards building their careers and professional lives.To see what has resonated with our upperclassmen students, December and April public relations graduates were asked to share their thoughts on what will stick with them most as they move forwards towards their next chapter. 

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned in a PR class or internship?

“Writing is central to everything PR. Whether writing press releases, creating content for social media, pitching to media, writing blog posts, etc., you must be an amazing writer.” – Katie McAdams, Class of 2020

“The most important thing that I have learned is to do your best and know that you are more than qualified. Imposter syndrome is real, but don’t let it overwhelm and become who you are!” – Aliah Tayyun, Class of 2021

“Everyone grows at different rates.” – Rachel Smith, Class of 2021

“Professional and academic kindness matters! Taking moments to be gracious, accommodating and collaborative to those around you is a cumulative and empowering habit to adopt. It’s the decent thing to do, and you never know where it will come in handy. There is strength in hospitality, and it makes you a better leader overall.” – Lucy Walsh, Class of 2021

“Connections are absolutely everything. Provide them for other people and take advantage of the ones people provide you with.” – Sophia Johnson, Class of 2021

“One of the most valuable lessons I’ve learned as a PR student is to always have a solution in mind to any problem I may have. PR professionals love to describe themselves as problem-solvers, and I have learned the true definition of that. I always try to come to my professor or supervisor with a solution to the problem I am about to present to them.” – Rileigh Skelton, Class of 2021

You don’t have to reinvent the wheel.” – Kaitlyn Drzewiecki, Class of 2020

You are taught so much valuable information in class, but it means nothing if you don’t get out there and live out what you’ve learned in the classroom. Apply to internships, reach out to your advisors and alumni, and make the most of your education by coupling it with real-world experience.” – Emily Stembridge, Class of 2020

“The most important thing from an internship I’ve learned is to be able to make myself important! Volunteering to use my skills I’ve learned at Belmont in my internships has made me a valuable resource to each organization!” – Shelby Cage, Class of 2021

Lucy Walsh is a senior public relations and publishing student from Evansville, Indiana. She serves as an executive board member of Belmont’s PRSSA chapter and as the editor of the PR at Belmont blog.