ALUMNI PROFILE: Madison Shultz Tummins

By: Olivia Olsen

Madison Shultz Tummins is a 2018 graduate who majored in Corporate Communication with a minor in Business Administration.

She is currently based in Nashville, Tennessee and is applying to programs to pursue a Master of Science in Integrated Design, Business and Technology.

She is a Behavioral Science Researcher at a Healthcare Technology company.

“Long story short, I study human behavior, specifically in the context of healthcare,” said Shultz Tummins. “Our team conducts research to understand how people have acted in the past, to predict and help nudge how they will act in the future.”

“Our day-to-day work often centers around consumer preferences and comfort toward technology, especially artificial intelligence, in healthcare.”

While she was at Belmont, Shultz Tummins prioritized meaningful internships to learn about what she wanted to pursue professionally.

“My internships in various industries from hospitality to clinical research set me up for success as I looked for post-undergraduate opportunities,” said Shultz Tummins.

“For two years after graduation, every six months I rotated to a new city and business unit within my company.”

“Along the way, I acquired certifications and training in a variety of areas, but most importantly, I found what I love to do. I encourage anyone in a similar clarity-less boat to consider rotational programs!”

Shultz Tummins also spoke about how Belmont played a role in shaping her future as a college student to present day:

“I wouldn’t be the person I am today without Belmont,” said Shultz Tummins. “Belmont is partially—if not wholly—responsible for connecting me to my mentors, my best friends, my husband, where I live, where I work, the confidence I built and the moral integrity I hold myself to. I owe Belmont a lot.”

During her time at Belmont, Shultz Tummins made an effort to stay involved in campus groups and internships. She was a member of the 2016 Orientation Council, Greek Life and was a campus tour guide among other organizations.

Shultz Tummins also had the chance to study abroad in Rome, Italy. She said she was able to “still feel the support of Belmont from thousands of miles away.”

As a Tennessee native, she had heard of Belmont. When she first stepped foot on campus, she felt connected to the people and university.

“I felt an immediate sense that I was home.”

She was granted with an academic scholarship, and “the rest was history,” according to Shultz Tummins.

Corporate Communication was a major of interest for her as she already wanted to continue tailoring her public speaking skills after being on her speech and debate team in high school.

“The Corporate Communication program offered me everything and more – compelling curriculum, faculty who were committed to my professional and personal growth, and a speech and debate team where I could stay connected to my passion.”

Her advice for prospective Belmont students is to fully immerse yourself in the opportunities the school has to offer and embrace the relationships you make along the way.

“The faculty in the Communication Studies department are some of the most esteemed, connected, intelligent, down-to-Earth professors you’ll ever meet. Soak in as much as you can from them and build relationships with them that will last far past your four years at Belmont.”

“There is not a place on Earth where you’ll feel more accepted, included, and challenged. You get four years to be surrounded by peers for the sole purpose of learning – why not make sure you have some good company.”

“College may or may not be the best four years of your life. But I know for certain it will be the best people of your life if you choose Belmont.”