Group of People with Social Media Concept

3 Social Media Profiles Every College Student Should Have

By: Natalie Jones

Social media plays a role in many aspects of our society. It can control how we communicate, get jobs, make money, and view life and each other. Recently, I have begun to use social media for professional purposes. In this article, I am going to share the top 3 social media apps that I believe all college students should have a profile on, and how to utilize them as a rising communication professional.

The first app is LinkedIn. Linkedin is a must-have for all college students! It is an online platform created to connect professionals around the world. If you are looking for internships or jobs after graduation, LinkedIn is a great place to start. You are able to make connections with people you already know and then build more connections from there. LinkedIn is professionally based, so you will want to put your best foot forward with your profile. This means you need to have a professional resume and headshot.

On the app/website, you are able to search for job postings in the field that you may be interested in. This is how I am currently using LinkedIn for my own professional benefit. I am in search of a social media summer internship, and LinkedIn has made it very easy to search and research my opportunities. I even have set up the app notify me every time a job is posted that is relevant to what I am looking for. Every college student should go ahead and build a professional LinkedIn profile so that it is ready for when you are looking for an internship or job.

Twitter is the next app that I believe all college students should have a profile on. Twitter can be especially helpful as a news source. I use Twitter professionally to keep up not only with events around the world but also with current trends or events relevant to the field I am pursuing. When interviewing or preparing for a job related to communications or social media, it is a good idea to be informed on hot topics and current trends. Twitter is able to tell you what is “trending” in the world at the very second that you get on the app. For example, Twitter was a quick and accurate way to receive information during the presidential election. Twitter closely monitors accounts and quickly reports and labels misinformation. Not only will Twitter give you the most current news, but it also provides you with news from many different sources and outlets. College students should use Twitter to their advantage and become informed communication professionals who are ready for any opportunity.

The last app I would suggest college students have a profile on is Instagram. Most college students probably already have Instagram on their phones. As a college student, I believe it is important to keep up with technology and current trends around the world. Instagram is no exception to this because it is the social media platform that has the highest engagement rate. Although Instagram is more casual than other social media platforms, such as LinkedIn, Instagram also has great business features and opportunities. I personally have career interests in the social media world, so I am working to curate my personal social media accounts in a way that coincides well with my professional profiles. While you can definitely continue to use Instagram to share pics of you and your friends or keep up with the latest memes, also be thinking about how your profile relates to your professional life!

Social media will always have a fun and casual side, but it is important to begin thinking about how you can use social media to your professional advantage. By having LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram profiles, you have the ability to be an informed and well-represented rising communication professional!

For a deeper dive…

20 Critical Dos and Don’ts of LinkedIn Networking

Five Instagram Accounts To Follow For Communications Inspiration

11 concrete ways to use Twitter for networking