Greek Life: How I Built Life-Long Connections and Improved My Communication Skills

By: Annelie Dahlstein

Sometimes when I tell people I’m in a sorority, I hear things like: “Are your sorority dues more than your tuition?”, “Is pink your favorite color now?” or the best question of them all, “So you bought your friends, right?”

The answer to all of these questions is no.  What I think is largely misinterpreted in Greek culture, especially at Belmont, is how being in a sorority or fraternity is more than letters or presumed state-school stereotypes. Being a member of Greek Life has not only equipped me for life after college in May, but has monumentally shifted my mindset on how I work with others.

Whether it’s weekly chapter meetings, partnering with other Greek organizations, being elected into an assistant/executive position, or practicing for Belmont’s annual dance show, Greek Sing, there is never a time in the Greek community where you aren’t communicating with other people.  The constant exposure to different groups of people who work toward a common goal, such as raising money for the children at St. Jude, is what makes the Greek community the most transformative experience I’ve had at Belmont.

When I received a bid to join Greek life, I didn’t have a strong set of communication skills.  While I was confident in some ways, I struggled voicing my opinion and understanding who I was.  Through several appointed positions in the chapter and steadfast friends, I started to grow in my speaking abilities and leadership.

Another benefit of joining the Greek community, is the connections that lead to job opportunities.  All of the babysitting jobs I’ve committed to have come from my sorority sisters and their families.  There have been a handful of times where a recommendation letter for an internship came directly from a previous sorority sister who had interned with that company before.  Being in a community where people are constantly supporting your ambitions in the career field, has been one of the biggest blessings throughout my collegiate career.

This past October, I had the privilege of participating in Belmont’s annual Greek Sing performance, which raises funds for the children and families at St. Jude.  Leading up to the day of Greek Sing, sororities and fraternities choreograph dances and write original songs to perform in the Curb Event Center.  Each chapter invests so much time into the practices beforehand, another aspect of how working with other people is a fundamental part of being in the Greek community.

At the end of the night, after everyone had performed in Greek Sing, the Greek chapters had collectively raised $25,198 for Belmont’s philanthropy, St. Jude.  Greek Life is such a unique opportunity to develop team, fundraising, and leadership skills while having a significant real-world impact.   Greek Life at Belmont is unparalleled to any experience I’ve had at Belmont because of the sincerity, long-lasting relationships, and family away from home atmosphere. 

If you are interested in Greek Life and would like to participate in January recruitment, click here.  (Recruitment will take place from January 23-26)