Mary Helen McCord: Life Within the Big Apple

By: Ellie Jackson

Once upon a time, a sweet, Memphis, Tennessee native dreamed of fulfilling her academic and professional career under the lights of the Big Apple. Now, those dreams have turned into a reality, as Mary Helen McCord is happily pursuing her goals in New York City. Mary Helen is a Senior Corporate Communication major with a double minor within Theatre and Education at Belmont University. Her journey abroad began on August 19, 2019, as she and her mother hopped on a flight to New York to spend time with her mother’s best friend and her daughter. The four spent time together for the course of several days, creating memories as Mary Helen eagerly awaited her move-in day. August 23, 2019, Mary Helen’s father flew in and helped her move into her new home, a student housing complex called EHS, located in Brooklyn Heights. Mary Helen stated, “It is so nice here, I love it! There is a communal kitchen we can use, a nice workout facility, a pool, and many hang locations in the building. The first week my internship had not started, so I got to spend a lot of time hanging out with my roommates and getting to know the city! We went to food festivals, movies, took many walks, and dined at a bunch of cool restaurants!”

Mary Helen’s Internship journey began on September 3, 2019, at Telsey and Company Casting. She expressed how her first day consisted of training and getting to know the company and her responsibilities as an intern. Aside from all of her obligations and responsibilities with schooling and her internship, Mary Helen has a positive attitude and gratitude. She stated, “I can tell that it is going to be a busy semester, keeping myself very busy with school and internship duties, but I am very excited for the challenge! I am so thankful to Belmont for allowing me to pursue this opportunity. I think I am going to grow in ways I could not imagine otherwise. I am very optimistic and excited for the rest of the semester!”

A Tennessee girl, eyes fixed upon happiness and success, Mary Helen McCord is demonstrating what it means to follow your heart and your dreams, as she is pursuing her academic and professional career within New York City. Mary Helen is enjoying her time within the Big Apple, and has already anticipated her future. After graduation, she plans to pursue a career in marketing or education and outreach for a professional theatre company. With her heart being in the performing arts, she also hopes to pursue performing in theatre on the side. A bright, talented young women, Mary Helen is thankful for her study-away experience.