Lenten Devotional for Friday, April 3

Psalm 31:9-16, Job 13:13-19, Philippians 1:21-30 

If you’ve spent much time in the Christian tradition, you’ve probably heard Paul’s famous words in Philippians “To live is Christ and to die is gain.” These words take the common experience of every human, life and death, and put a sense of purpose to each. All of us, at some point, must answer the question about what we believe it means to live and what it means to die.  

So, what are you living for? I know I have lived for all sorts of things, and oftentimes my direction feels like it changes by the day. I’ve lived seasons of my life for accolades and recognition, seeking the achievement and praise that comes along with it. I’ve lived at times to acquire money and material things, seeking security and the pleasures of more stuff. I’ve lived trying exclusively to focus on my career and the jobs that I might be able to find if I were to succeed.  

Now, I don’t think many of us consciously choose these directions all of the time. But I do know that if my purpose is vague, then so is my direction. I often end up getting swept around by the things that make me happy or offer the least resistance. And yet, isn’t it so inspiring and refreshing to others around us when they have a sense of calling and purpose that’s driving them?    

I believe Paul had such a deep and intimate relationship with God that it was an easy decision to say that to live is to live for Christ. It was his experience with the risen Jesus that animated his sense of purpose and calling in the world. In the end, this is what the season of Lent invites us to experience and remember. As we practice temperance through fasting, we open up more of ourselves to experience a deeper and more meaningful encounter with the risen Christ. I’m hopeful that as we all continue through the Lenten season in the ways God has called us all to participate uniquely, that we might echo Paul’s words more sincerely each day in saying, “To live is Christ.”  

Larkin BrileyDirector of Missions and Outreach & Associate University Minister

University Ministries