Growing in Faith

Growing up I went to church but it wasn’t something that was really present and important in my family. I didn’t know what it meant to be a Christian. I didn’t know what it meant to go to Bible study every Sunday morning or Wednesdays. I was a praise dancer but I didn’t understand my purpose for it growing up. I also knew that there was God and that he was always there for me, but that’s it.

When I got to Belmont and I took my first religion course that’s when it hit me. I felt disconnected during conversations with my classmates. They were able to have full conversation about people in the Bible and I had no clue who they were. I didn’t know much about other religions and what that looked like for other people so, I got invested. I found a church and began to read the bible more. I had conversations with friends about my journey and asked for advice and what I have learned is that my path to finding my faith is not the same as anyone else’s.

There are many supportive people on campus that I know I can talk to if I am struggling with something or just need a little more understanding. Here at Belmont, no one treats you differently if you do not believe in what they believe in. If anything, they love that you are who you are. I love hearing from different point of views when it comes to religion. I have learned so much about myself and my friends. I have learned that is okay to ask questions when you are curious, but not when you know you are going to disagree and be rude. The diversity among religions on campus is exciting. Belmont has given me the opportunity to lead mission trips and I have taken those opportunities to explore my faith a little more. I know part of my purpose in this world has everything to do with helping people and I will continue to explore that and do His work. I am still strengthening my faith and relationship with God because that will forever be an ongoing thing.

Tayviana Scott, Senior, Social Work Major