Lenten Devotional for Thursday, March 19

Psalm 23, 1 Samuel 15:10-21, Ephesians 4:25-32

Growing up the daughter of a Baptist minister, I remember attending church what seemed like every day.  To be honest, during my childhood I often found myself complaining about always having to be there.  As I got older, I gained a deeper understanding as to why cultivating my spiritual life was so important.  My parents were preparing me to stand boldly on my faith, walk with conviction, and to listen and obey the voice of God.

The same way it seems children have problems obeying their parents, we have problems obeying God in some of the simplest ways.  In 1 Samuel 15:10-21, King Saul was given a clear and direct command.  Yet, he took matters into his own hands, and chose not to fully obey. – Partial obedience is still disobedience.  God does not set us up for failure, He creates teachable moments.  When we are faced with a decision to obey God, remember we can trust He knows what is best for us.  He gives us strength to submit to His will, and He will bless us in ways we cannot imagine.

Life is best lived when we focus on the Savior.  Where do you place your focus when life challenges you?  Who do you run to for comfort?  Psalm 23 reminds us that everything we need is found in Jesus.  He is our comforter and protector.  When you are walking through a valley – you have more bills than money, you have an illness that is wearing you down, or you are struggling in your relationships with others, remember this: Stay in His presence and keep your eyes fixed on our good shepherd, He will lead you safely through.

This Lenten season, I invite you to take off those things that hinder your Christian walk. “Having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another. Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and give no opportunity to the devil.   Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:25-32)  Be obedient to God in small things and big things.  Fix your eyes on Jesus when the seasons of your life change.  Position yourself to be blessed, and watch God move!

Cosonya Stephens, University Budget Analyst

Office of Finance & Accounting