Rio 2018

Going Back, Thinking Ahead – Jenny Roy

The countdown is on!  In less than one week, Belmont Women’s Basketball will embark on an incredible journey to spread and share God’s love in Rio de Janerio, Brazil. I had the pleasure of going on a life changing mission trip to Rio three years ago with my Belmont teammates and am thrilled to be going back.

Having never been on a mission trip before, I didn’t know what to expect. I remember wondering how this would go, what the days would look like, and how I could do anything to help. It is safe to say I was a little cautious and nervous. However, once I got there, all my fear left me. God was by my side and His presence gave me the strength. Whenever I felt unprepared throughout my trip, I leaned on this verse below:

Psalm 28:7-8
The Lord is my strength and shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him.  

Trust. That was my word. All I needed to do was trust, and He made the impossible possible. I was no longer afraid but excited to use the platform that God had given me to share His unfailing love. My heart changed after encountering all the love in Rio. Despite the language, age, or cultural barriers, it was easy to see that God’s love is a universal language.

One of my fondest memories from the mission trip three years ago happened at the most unexpected time. Throughout the week, we had invited anyone we met, including kids, teachers, parents, and new friends, to our last basketball game. Being a little out of the city, we didn’t expect many people would be able to show up. As we were warming up for the game, it is safe to say, at this point in the trip, we were all exhausted. From the classrooms visits we went straight to the basketball court. We felt drained from the emotions each day presented.

A few missed shots became a few more and suddenly the doors opening in the gym blinded us. As we squinted, I thought my eyes were deceiving me. In walked all of our new friends. They began cheering in their newly received Belmont shirts. Their contagious smiles filled the gym. Instantly, we all remembered why we were there and who we were playing for.

A few hundred people watched us play in a random gym in Rio. Whether we lost or won the game suddenly wasn’t important because they were not there because we were “good at basketball.” They were there because we had shared something “good” and that was God. After the game, Betty gave her testimony. She gave people a chance to invite Christ into their lives.

I will never forget Betty’s testimony, the way the room felt, and the way my heart pounded. God’s love was contagious!! It is amazing what can happen when you make Him the focus of every interaction.

I was told we changed our new friends lives, but really, they changed mine.

I am so grateful for this opportunity to go back and embrace the warmest smiles and the sweetest hugs once again. I still keep in touch with a few of the kids and am hopefully to be able to see them again. I pray that God uses each and every one of us in a way that we have never felt before.

What an incredible journey for our team to start the year off on a foundation of service. I pray we use our platform that God has given us to share the good news and impact the lives of others.

As we travel, your prayers and thoughts are greatly appreciated. The impact of this opportunity cannot be overstated.

Thank you for following our journey.