Students interning in roles/companies/organizations directly relating to their academic major or occupational goal may receive elective credit for work with employers approved by the intern supervisor.
- Students may work part-time, full-time, off-campus, or on-campus in either paid or volunteer positions.
- The Co-operative Education/Internship Program is open to sophomores, juniors and seniors.
- Generally, students working part-time may receive up to (6) hours of credit in a semester.
- Students receive co-op credit only during the semester that they work. Co-op credit will not be given retroactively.
- Only six (6) hours of Co-operative Education credit will count toward the graduation requirement as business elective credit. Three (3) credit hours may substitute as an elective in the major program, but not for a major requirement.
- Course assignments include:
- An agreement form to be signed by both the student and employer
- Goals for the internship set by the student
- Completion of an online StrengthsFinder assessment
- Submitting a weekly journal at the end of the internship period.
- An evaluation of the intern’s performance completed by the employer.
- A final paper that ranges from 5-10 pages in length, depending upon the number of credit hours being sought.
- A final presentation sharing the internship experience.
- Attendance at three class sessions that include an orientation, a strengths workshop, and the final presentation. (Online attendance is acceptable for interns outside of the Nashville area.)
- Grading is on a Pass/Fail basis.
In order to earn course credit for internship experience, the following guidelines must be met:
- Students must gain approval from their academic advisor for MGT 3000 to be included as part of their course plan.
- Students need to contact the Internship Specialist (Chris Agans in The Career Development Center) and complete the Internship Approval Request Form in order to register. The Internship Specialist will authorize the student in Banner and then the student can complete the registration process.
A student must register for Co-operative Education (MGT 3000) at the same cost per hour.
- The student’s internship MUST relate to his/her educational and/or occupational goals.
- The student must be in good standing with the university in order to be eligible for the Co-operative Education/Internship Program. No student may be enrolled in the Co-operative Education/Internship Program if he/she is on probation with Belmont University.
- The employer must be willing to enter the training agreement with Belmont University and complete a performance evaluation.
|Fall/Spring Semester||Summer (spans both summer sessions)|
|10 hrs/week; 150 hrs total||1 unit of credit||15 hrs/week; 150 hrs total||1 unit of credit|
|12 hrs/week; 180 hrs total||2 units of credit||18 hrs/week; 180 hrs total||2 units of credit|
|15 hrs/week; 225 hrs total||3 units of credit||22 hrs/week; 220 hrs total||3 units of credit|
|18 hrs/week; 270 hrs total||4 units of credit||27 hrs/week; 270 hrs total||4 units of credit|
|22 hrs/week; 330 hrs total||5 units of credit||33 hrs/week; 330 hrs total||5 units of credit|
|30 hrs/week; 450 hrs total||6 units of credit||40 hrs/week; 400 hrs total||6 units of credit|
In order to have your internship approved for academic credit, you must complete the approval form below for the appropriate semester:
Summer 2018 Internship Approval Form: https://form.jotform.com/72885100733152
Fall 2018 Internship Approval Form: https://form.jotform.com/80566961012152
If your request is approved, an override will be entered on your account in DegreeWorks which will allow you to register for MGT 3000 and the section number that corresponds with the number of credits you are looking to earn. The Internship Coordinator will send you an e-mail with further instructions on how to register.
If you have additional questions, you can Contact the Massey College of Business Internship Coordinator by e-mailing email@example.com or by calling 615-460-6947.