Morgan Fisher
Morgan Fisher
South Africa 2015
VIEW FINAL REPORT
My name is Morgan Kathleen Fisher, and I will be traveling to Johannesburg, South Africa to work with Joint Aid Management for six months. Read More About Morgan →

The Soil

The parable of the soils describes what becomes of seed that is sown in four different types of soil. The first type of soil is the hardened soil of the pathway. This seed does not penetrate the soil at all, but is quickly snatched up by the birds of the air. The second type of soil is the rocky soil, a shallow layer of earth, barely covering the rock below. The seed which falls upon this type of soil quickly germinates, aided by the warmth retained by the rock, but hindered by a lack of depth and by a lack of moisture. The seed which germinates quickly also terminates quickly. The third soil is the thorny soil, a soil populated with thorns. The seed falling into this soil germinates and begins to grow, but is eventually crowded out by the hardier thorns. The fourth soil is the fruitful soil, that soil which produces a bountiful crop. Having told the story, Jesus put an exclamation point after it by adding these words: “He who has ears to hear, let him hear.”

During my time in South Africa, I recall seasons of experiencing the hardened soil, the rocky soil, and the thorny soil. As I begin to reflect on the previous months and examine how God is working in my life in the present, I can’t help but declare that i’m stepping into fruitful soil.

I have become heavily involved in JAM’s Monday morning devotions, fulfilling my desire to be involved in ministry. I get so stoked to find services and worship to share with my colleagues on Monday mornings! I’m so passionate about digital communication and believe the visuals, stories, messages, and songs that we design Monday morning’s with can impact the way a team works and I want to carry out nothing but excellence to my colleagues when given the opportunity. I’ve seen my colleagues dance to worship music and shout in positive response at Pastor Judah Smith preaching on a digital screen! God’s using this time to build a team’s faith and it’s a privilege to be a part of the team that carries out this vision every week.

This week, I delivered 6 months of blood, sweat, and tears. I’ve failed fast, learned quick, and strengthened as a human being at such a rapid pace. I’ve cried out to God in confusion feeling as if I have not been given any clarity. Yet, this week, I look back and praise Him for these challenges, because I’ve become a stronger woman and drawn closer to Him in my spiritual walk. This week, I delivered a Global Social Media Strategy for a company that operates in various nations feeding over 1.1 million children in Africa every day. I am so grateful for the opportunity to learn from such inspirational and wise people. It is considered a privilege to use the gifts God has given me to be a part of a business with a mission at the center of it’s heart.

I don’t know what I’ll be doing in in 2 weeks time, but I know God has a plan and based on the experiences and steps he has guided me in during my 6 months here, I know His plan will be the most exhilarating, fulfilling, and challenging path to take. So, I am confident and comfortable relying on what he has organized for my future.

As my time comes to a close on the Lumos Travel Scholarship, I truly have seen the fruit of my education from Belmont University’s Social Entrepreneurship and Entrepreneurship programs. I am very thankful that I had the opportunity to study at such an intentional university that has made it possible for me to be here in South Africa.

I have done things in the previous 6 months that I could have never imagined possible. Here are some of the highlights: